Seeing a need for extended training and advanced opportunities for a young people, YCC offers a HVAC/R program for men and women ages 17 to 24. With this advanced training, our young people will earn higher wages in their careers and can continue accessing YCC’s social support services as they grow professionally.
Under supervision of College of Lake County, graduates of our YouthBuild program receive an additional 16 weeks of employment and training in heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC/R) installation. Through the program, youth earn 18.5 college credit hours, an HVAC/R certification and an EPA certification, all of which qualify them for higher wages.
Once young people complete their classes, YCC staff match them with local companies for a 230-hour internship. Many of our internship providers are members of Lake County Heating and Cooling Association. Upon completion of their internships, most of our young people are offered full-time employment.
Why HVAC/R Matters
The young people in our first HVAC/R cohort have shown outstanding success.
- We’ve welcomed 10 young people into the program, with plans to expand our second-ever cohort to 15 students.
- 9 of our 10 students attained their HVAC/R certification
- 9 of our 10 students secured internships with local companies
- 8 of our 10 students were hired on at the completion of their internship
Your support matters! Here are a few ways you can make a difference for youth building lifelong skills in Lake County:
- Donate. Our youth do not have access to many of the resources they need, including food, clothing and other basic materials. Your donations ensure that we can provide these necessities for our young people, beyond the limited allowances in our grant funding. Give now.
- Hire our young people. Do you work for an HVAC/R company? We seek additional partnerships within Lake County to accept our hard-working young people for internships and as potential hires. Contact us to learn more: email@example.com
- Mentor in the HVAC/R field. We seek adults working in HVAC/R to volunteer as personal and professional mentors for our young people, equipping them with the relationships and skills they need to thrive. Learn more.
Funding for this program is possible through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.